Cyprus Criminal Lawyers
Criminal law in Cyprus is governed by the Criminal Code of Cyprus, which outlines the various crimes and penalties that may be imposed for their commission. The legal system in Cyprus is based on the British Common Law system and is therefore similar to that of other commonwealth countries.
The courts in Cyprus are independent and impartial, and defendants are entitled to a fair trial and the right to legal representation.
The Criminal Code of Cyprus covers a wide range of criminal offenses, including:
- Homicide: This includes murder, manslaughter, and causing death by dangerous driving. The maximum penalty for murder is life imprisonment.
- Assault: This includes both physical and verbal assault, as well as sexual assault. Penalties for assault can range from fines to imprisonment.
- Theft: This includes robbery, burglary, and embezzlement. Penalties for theft can range from fines to imprisonment.
- Fraud: This includes forgery, counterfeiting, and financial fraud. Penalties for fraud can range from fines to imprisonment.
- Drug offenses: This includes possession, trafficking, and distribution of illegal drugs. Penalties for drug offenses can range from fines to imprisonment.
- Organized crime: This includes offenses such as money laundering, racketeering, and participation in a criminal organization. Penalties for organized crime can range from fines to imprisonment.
Cyprus also has a number of specialised criminal courts, which have been established to deal with specific types of criminal cases.
Criminal proceedings in Cyprus follow the adversarial system, which means that the prosecution and defence present their respective cases and evidence to the court, and the judge determines the guilt or innocence of the accused.
It is worth noting that there are special provisions for the rights of suspects and defendants in Cyprus, the rights are protected by the Constitution and several human rights laws, such as the European Convention on Human Rights. These include the right to a fair trial, the right to legal representation, the right to remain silent, the right to be informed of the charges against them, and the right to be released on bail.
Overall, the criminal justice system in Cyprus is designed to protect the rights of both victims and defendants, and to ensure that justice is served in a fair and impartial manner.
Our Criminal Law Services
We understand that in the field of criminal law the stakes are invariably high. An experienced criminal lawyer can mean the difference between a successful or unsuccessful outcome and the possible penalties involved can have a massive impact on a business or an individual.
Our Criminal Lawyers deal with every case as high priority and are able to advise and guide you through every aspect of the criminal justice system, from how to initially respond to a criminal investigation right through to appealing a decision. Our team is dedicated to defending the rights of the accused and operates with a degree of sympathy and discretion which allows our clients to rest assured that their criminal case is being dealt with expertly, swiftly and efficiently.